Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Rebuilding Greensburg Blocks

What?? Two posts in one night after having nothing for months and months? This is craziness.

I just wanted to plug a great charity knitting project for anyone who wants to do something wonderful & use up some of those small pieces of stash yarn.

Laura Spradlin of Sugar Bunny Knits is collecting 8" garter square blocks to sew into afghans for some of the families whose homes were destroyed by the tornadoes that ripped through Greensburg, Kansas earlier this spring. She's hoping for a little more than 1000, and already has over 300!

The squares are coming in from all over, and before the end of the summer, there will be some coming in from right here in East Lansing too! I've made about 14 or 15 so far, and I'm just going to keep letting the squares pile up and send them towards the end of the summer. How many can you make?

These little things are perfect for using up those tiny balls of yarn that you really can't do anything with, yet refuse to throw away. Back in the fall, Nicole sent me a package for winning a contest on her blog (yay for random goodness!). It had all kinds of goodies in it, and there were tons of little balls of yarn so that I could sample some different fibers. I used them of all for these blocks.. they probably made 4-5!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back!al

Donna said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like your charity knitting project and what a good way to use those balls of yarn! Good luck and I will stop back again soon.