Friday, January 25, 2008

Sparkley goodness!

A girlfriend of mine is celebrating a birthday today. When I made this scarf for another friend of mine earlier this month, she strongly started dropping hints that she wanted a scarf too. So.. I made her a scarf.

She has this really awesome hat that is charcoal and white with sparkles, so I thought I would make her a sparkly scarf to match. The colors look a little washed out in the pictures, but believe me, there's some serious sparkle in this sucker!

I tried a few different stitch patterns and then realized that I just needed to go plain old ribbing to get the full effect. It was a quick knit. I picked up the yarn Saturday and had all but the last few inches done by Monday. I finished up the last of it this morning, cast off.. and then whipped up a little sparkly gift bag on my new handy-dandy sewing machine!

I shopped the 50% off the clearance fabric sale at JoAnn's and picked up some silver fabric and lining. I just kinda winged the bag, but I think it looks ok. I only got 1/8 a yard of each, but I have enough leftover for another gift bag! Yay for remnants!



In Summary:
Pattern:
2x2 ribbed scarf
Yarn:
  • 1 skein Cascade 220, Gray, $6.60
  • 2 skeins Filtes King Australian Merinos, $8.60
Needles: Size 11
Time: One knit night and one evening of movie night
Total Cost: $24

5 comments:

DancingFish said...

The scarf with the bag: brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

Great "wrapping" idea! I'm a sucker for sparkly yarns, too.

NH Knitting Mama said...

What fun to make the little bag, too! I would love to get a gift like that!

Mari said...

What a pretty scarf. I love the sparkle.
I need to get myself a sewing machine. I love that little bag you made.

Jennifer said...

what a great gift!!