Thursday, July 12, 2007

Red Alert! Red Alert!

So, here I am.. knitting along on the Tulip Sweater & surprise! It really looks like it is supposed to look! I finish the second sleeve and was about to start on the neck - and what is this?? I'm out of yarn?? How did that happen? See that little blue stragglely piece there? That's all that's left!

When I picked up the kit, I had noticed that the blue skein for the trim was about the same size as the other skeins of of yarn, but really didn't think too much about it. I was in possession of a Tulip Sweater kit! The only thinking going on involved how fast I could get home to cast on for that thing!

I called the LYS today to ask if they could maybe give me some more yarn. (Possibly kinda tacky, but I swear I'm on gauge and following the pattern precisely.) I have enough out of the rest of the colors to make more than half of another sweater, so I think this was truly an accident that I got short yardage of this one color.

I feel like they owe me enough yarn to finish the neckband and do the icord ties. Is that asking too much? The lady on the phone seemed very confused at the idea that there could be short yardage, and told me that a manager would call me back in just a few minutes. Four hours later - no one called. Hmm. I'm going to chalk it up to "they got busy" and stop by on my way home tomorrow after my internship.

On another note, The Boyfriend gave me a gift certificate for a LYS that I hadn't been to yet. I went this afternoon, and it was definitely a unique experience. I had wanted to get yarn for a sweater or cardigan for myself, but they didn't have enough in one color - in any yarn - for an adult sweater. Then, I figured that since Baby Watch 2007 has just jumped to FIVE babies (yes, FIVE!), I'd get some yarn for a baby sweater instead. They didn't have anything but acrylics, and then in not so great colors. The acrylic part interests me because their slogan is, "Naturally Nice Fibers." Intriguing. Another interesting note - the person working at the store had never heard of The Yarn Harlot. I repeat - she'd never heard of the Yarn Harlot. Blasphemy.

So, after pouring through the aisles for an hour and a half trying to use my free money, I wound up getting some Sockotta, Adrienne Vittadini Allegra in a coral color, and the best thing - I got some Addi Tubos in 1's and 2's. Happy Birthday to me! I have no idea what I'm going to do with the Adrienne Vittadini, but it was gorgeous and shiny and called my name. Maybe a lacy, light scarf?

4 comments:

Michele said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! I'd love me some Addi-Turbos. I covet yours... swoon.

I hope you had a great birthday! Did you get the bumps? heheh Thanks for your comment about my pix.

Carrie Penny said...

Addis are always a nice thing to get... I have been to a few shops like that around here... one that bosts about selling yarns from local spinners and dyers... Yeah... Walls of NORO and some misc other things.... Really local to SC...

Sarah said...

Who hasn't heard of the Yarn Harlot?? Non-knitters have heard of the Yarn Harlot!
Also, they totally owe you the yarn. Stand your ground!

Violiknit said...

That tulip sweater is so cute!!! Scary about the yarn shortage, though!