Tuesday, April 11, 2006

First attempt at a "sans pattern" project.

The wonderful boyfriend gave me a Coach wristlet for Christmas, and I love it. I generally carry it everyday. So, I thought I would try and make my own. This was my first attempt at a "make your own pattern" project, and there were probably a few things I'd change for the next time around.

For this, I used one skein of Moda Dea Aerie in black (on sale, of course, for less than $2) and a skein of a novelty yarn that I found at Big Lots. I'm pretty sure the yarn is named "Knitting" and is called funky fringe yarn. I just wound them together for this project.

Using 10.5 needles, I knit for about 12 inches and then cast on another 50 or so stitches for the wristlet. I cast off those stitches and continued to knit that row. For the final few rows, I did a decrease on both sides of the yarn to make a more rounded look. I sewed a little snap onto the flap to keep everything closed.

In hindsight, I probably would have used something else for the handle. Maybe using black leather with a silver connection, more like the Coach bag that I have. We'll see...

The picture really doesn't do it justice.. it looks less glimmery in real life. I think every piece of the novelty yarn was picked up with the flash. Posted by Picasa

No comments: