So, I got a little tired of making scarves and I thought that I would make the Big Bad Baby blanket from Debbie Stoller's Stitch and Bitch. Because I am such a new knitter, this was the project that never ended. I think I worked on it (consistently) for several weeks.
Although the detail of the picture isn't good at all, the blanket turned out really nice. I didn't use the yarn recommended (it would have been about $100!!). The parents of the baby have a lot of allergies, so I figured that acrylics would be the best bet. I used Bernat Baby Coordinates in light blue. Once I started the project, I really doubted my choice. I had trouble seeing all the detail in the edging with the yarn, but as a finished project, I think it looks really nice. After washing and blocking it, it got really soft and shiny again. I think all the oils from my hands and the dirt from toting it around for weeks really took away some of the gloss in the yarn. Amazing what a little laundry detergent will do!!